These lessons are now open to help collision repair students learn from home. I am lifting the Patron fee to access this content during this time, as many schools are closed. However, I do appreciate your support and hope my Patrons continue to support this website and training.
If you would like to help and support this website, then I would greatly appreciate it. For more information visit. www.Patreon.com/CarAddictGarage
Basic Auto Body and Paint Training
Lesson 1, you will be introduced to safety. Taking proper safety measures is a habit you must instill into your mind and at work. Take the time to create productive and safe work habits.
Lesson 2, you will learn a little about how cars have evolved through the years. We have come a long way in vehicle design and how this is making it safer for than the early cars.
Lesson 3, you will learn what a repair plan is for auto body and paint. How this will eliminate many of the problems that arise during the repair process. and how this will save you time and money in the long run.
Lesson 4, we are going to cover metal straightening. There are different types of steel such as mild steel, high strength steel, ultra high strength steel, boron, etc. However, this lesson is going to focus on mild steel, as mild steel is used on many of the body parts. If you restore older cars, probably all the steel that you work with will be mild steel. Many of the other types of steels are used on structural parts and on some of the newer car designs.
Lesson 5, you will learn about the different types of fillers, “body filler, fiberglass filler, glaze, etc.” We are also going to cover the uses of these fillers, application, and sanding techniques.
Lesson 6, you will learn about basic automotive welding, the types of welds used, and the PPE needed to keep you safe.
Lesson 7 we are going to cover why plastics started being used on cars, the two types of plastic, and repair methods to repair plastic.
Lesson 8 we are going to cover how to properly prep a car. This is where much of the hard work is at, but perhaps the most important steps of producing a professional quality paint job.
Lesson 9, you will teach you the basics for adjusting and maintaining a spray gun. You will learn tips and techniques to adjust and use a spray gun so you can achieve a professional quality paint finish.
Lesson 10, I am not going to spend time on the history of paint, as there is not much of it around. The first car I painted was with lacquer and the second was acrylic enamel. It was not long into my career that the industry changed to the base coat/clear coat urethane systems, which are much better and easier to use in my opinion. The industry is currently making another transition to waterborne base coats; however, we’re going to stick to the solvents in this lesson.
Lesson 11, you will learn how to wash, detail, fix runs, buff and polish. Detailing cars in a body shop is a little different than other places because of the silicones in many of the products. You will also learn about silicone free products safe to use in a body shop environment.
Lesson 12, you will learn about some of the most common paint defects and how to repair them. Some defects happen with age, such as rust, peeling, cracking. While others happen during the painting process, such as dirt in the paint, runs, excessive orange peel.
3. Once you have completed basic lessons, then go through the additional resources provided below.
PROJECT VIDEO SERIES
Eastwood Video Series – Watch passionate students transform a Mustang from green to black while transforming their skills to be top performers in the collision repair industry.
Steps To Repair Fender Bender – Integra Project – This video series covers the steps to repair a minor fender bender. This series will take you through the repair process step-by-step from metal straightening to primer. Enjoy the videos and let me know if you have questions.
HOW TO VIDEOS
Custom Paint – This video series cover the basics to prep, masking artwork and airbrush basics.
DIY Ding Repair – This is a 3 video series showing you how to repair a small door ding and how to spot paint damaged area.
Hammer and Dolly Basics – Learn the basics to hammer and dolly. I have several videos to teach you what a hammer and dolly is, how to select the right tool, and several hammer and dolly techniques.
Rust Patch Repair – This is an older video series. They only show pictures, but I do explain the process of cutting out old rust, fabricating a new patch panel, and welding the patch into place. Another option is to purchase pre-made patch panels that can be cut to fit and welding in place.
How To Spray Matte Colors – This video series will demonstrate how to prep and spray matte black. I also talk about using matte clear coats and give you a few tips for spraying matte colors.
What Sandpaper To Use – This video series talks about what grits of sandpaper to use for body filler, block and final sanding, and buffing.
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
I receive a lot of question on my YouTube channel. I always try to respond to them. I’m sure I miss one occasionally, but not intentionally. If I never responded to a question that you’ve asked, please repost the question.
I also decided to take it a step further and respond to several of the questions with a video response. There is no way to create videos for all of them, but below you will find a playlist of the questions I have answered with a video.
Below Lessons Are Still In Progress – New Videos and/or Content Will Be Added To Them
66 Mustang Project – This is a DIY project that I worked on at my house with minimal tools and equipment. This video series is intended to demonstrate how to work on cars without all of the latest and greatest tools.
ASE Paint and Refinish Review – This video series covers the ASE task expected to know for the B2 Paint and Refinish certification. The videos are designed to help you learn the tasks. They are not intended to guarantee you to pass the exam. There are test prep books if you are looking for additional information at ASE B2 Test Prep Guide
Nissan Titan Project – In the Nissan, Titan Project video series I am going to be working on a 2009 Nissan Titan. This project is not going to be a lot of paint and body work like most of my videos. This series is going to cover installing things like a light bar, tail light covers, hitch, restoring headlights, vinyl pin striping, detailing, etc. I am not exactly sure where all this project may go, but I will have a video of the steps I take
Below is some other videos and articles. I will be working on the list below and cleaning it up soon.
Click the link below for the auto body and paint training videos.
- Sandpaper Grit
- Paint Codes
- Custom Paint
- Spray Gun Adjustment
- Matte Black
- Mustang Restoration
- Pontiac G6
- Bayliner Boat
- New Products
- Integra Project
- Garage Spaces
- Playing Music
- Trips and Places
- Does That Really Work
UNCATEGORIZED – Auto Body and Paint Videos
OTHER VIDEOS AND TRAINING
- How To Care For Vinyl Wraps On Cars
- Tips For Washing and Waxing Your Car Finish – Can You Wax A New Paint Finish?
- How TO Wash A Car
- How To Sand AND Buff Fresh Paint FinishPaint
- How To Use A Clay Bar – Video
- How To Use A Clay Bar – 4 Steps To Produce a Show Slick Paint Finish
- How To Remove Overspray
- How To Remove Compound and Polish From Hard To Get Areas
- Fighting A Black Paint Job – Polishing Tips
- Tips To Wash A Car Without Damaging The Paint
- How To Level A Run Using A Razor Blade
- How To Use The New 3M Denibbing System
- How To Remove Rust From Chrome .
CUSTOM PAINT AIR BRUSH
- Airbrushing – Discover How To Airbrush Like A Rockstar Quick Airbrushing Tips For Beginners. – Videos
- Hand Pinstriping Tool
- New Product – iLLuma-FX – Light Up Paint
- How To Create Ghost Flame Effect Without Using Paint – This is a quick and easy way for the DIY to create ghost flames. It’s quick, simple, and inexpensive.
- How To Draw An Eagle
- How To Draw Cars Like Chip Foose
- What Are You Passionate About
- Why Choose A Carrer In Collision Repair?
- Becoming A Champion In The Workplace
- Automotive Painting and Body Technician courses
- Writing Estimates As A Career
- Collision Repair Training Can Lead To Welding Fabrication Career
- Student Supplies and Resources
- A Career In Collision Repair – Training
- NATEF Schools
- 10 Steps For Starting An Auto Body Shop
- Ample Career Pathways in The Auto industries
- 2013 Collision Repair Statistics
- Why Is Collision Repair Important To Education – Article
COLLISION REPAIR INDUSTRY
- After Hours at SEMA 2011 with Chip Foose
- Paintless Cars
- Weldless Structural Repairs
- More Aluminum Brings Concers To Repair Industry
- Step If Involved In An Accident Part 1
- How To Replace Windshield Wipers
- Diminished Value
- Used Car Buying Tips
- Tips For Choosing A Collision Repair Shop
- Safety Ratings Made Simple
- Three Ways To Be More Aware on The Road
- How To Avoid Driving Hazards Along The Roadways
- Debunking Car-Related Myths
- Steps To Take If Involved In A Car Accident
- How To Maximize Your Car’s MPG Standards
- IIHS and NHTSA Testing
- Dent Repair Using A Stud Welder Gun – 7 steps to repairing a dent using a stud welder gun.
- Hammer and Dolly Hand Tools – Video
- Dent Repair – Work Hardening – Video
- Hammer Off Doly repair Method – Video
- How To Use A Slapping File
- How To Apply and Block Sand Body Filler – Tips To Help You Eliminate Common Mistakes.
- Learn 6 Quick Steps For Applying and Sanding Finish Glaze – Also Learn The Advantages and Disadvantages of Using It.
- How To Repair Hail Damage – Without Grinding or PDR
- Be Your Own Boss With Paintless Dent Repair
- www.CollisionBlast.com/Evercoat440Express .
- 3M Recommended Damage Repair Procedure .
- How To Check For Bondo On Cars
- Lead Filler: The Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Lead For Repairing Dents
- 5 Methods For Repairing Hail Damage…Are You Prepared For Hail Season?
- Got Dents
- 43 Step Repair and Paint Process
- PDR Using Adhesive Tabs
- Suction Cup Dent Repair
- Repairing Body Lines
- Tips For Repairing Aluminum
DIY PAINT TOUCH-UP SCRATCH REPAIR
- 3M DIY Scratch Repair
- DIY How To Blend Aerosol Touchup Paint
- How To Spot Paint Without Clear Coating The Entire Panel
- Auto Estimating Training
- Rising Costs of Car Parts
- 5 Steps For Inspecting Air Bags
- Understanding Auto Insurance
- Inspecting A Car Before Writing an Estimate
- Developing A Repair Plan
- Blueprinting Best Practices
- Is Your Body Shop Losing Money?
- Estimating Tips With Mike Anderson
- Is You Shop Reaching It’s Full Revenue Potential
EXTERIOR TRIM ACCESSORIES ACCESSORIES
- How To Remove and Install Body Side Molding – Adhesive Type
- How To Restore Headlights To Improve Night Vision
- How To Smoke Tail Lights
- How To Replace a Taillight on a 2009 Pontiac G6 and Save $40.
- Body Over Frame Repair
- OEM’s that prohibit anchoring on the pinchweld flanges
- If My Frame Is Bent, Will My Car Ever be The Same?
- Structural Sectioning Guidelines – Webinar
- Full Frame Repair
- 4 Windshield Repair Questions and Answers
- Wy Won’t My Window Roll Up – Window Problem Tips
- How To Replace Auto Windshield Wipers
- How To Replace Window Regulator – Chevrolet – Video Tutorial
- How To Replace A Window Regulator – KIA Sportage – Video Tutorial
- Window Regulator Replacement Parts – Resource For Regulator Parts
- Ebook – The Scratch Build Hot Rod – This is a great e-book with a lot of photos
- Leather Seat Repair Guide
- Replace A Dash Board Gauge .
- Car Soundproofing – Using Dynamat
- How To Remove Interior Trim Clips
- Tips For Removing Seat Upholstery
- The Importance of Mechanical Diagnostic in Collision Repair
- Mechanical How To Tutorial Videos
- How To Identify, Inspect and Test Power Steering Problems
- Have You Had Your Transmission Fluid Changed
- Batteries For Beginners
- How To Use A Tap To Rethread Damaged Threads .
MOTORCYCLE REPAIR AND PAINTING
- Selecting The Correct Rod For Plastic Repair – Video
- How To Use A Plastic Welder To Repair Plastic – Video
- How To Apply Adhesion Promoter On Raw Bumper Cover – Video
- Plastic Repair Using Magna Stitcher – Video Demonstration
- www.CollisionBlast.com/EvercoatTabRepair – How to repair plastic tabs and edges with Evercoat super fast adhesive. .
- How To Get a Glassy Like Paint Job – This is a Q&A video response for getting show car quality glass like paint jobs.
- How Much Paint Does It Take To Paint A Car – This is a Q&A video response asking how much paint it take to paint a car.
- Does Sanding Between Coats Create A Better Paint Job – This is a question ask that I responded to on my YouTube channel.
- Q&A The Difference Between Primers – Video Q&A
- What Primer Should I Use On My Car?
- Does Epoxy Primer Come in A Spray Can?
- Using A Razor Blade To Level Runs – Do I Need To Wait For The Clear To Dry?
REFINISH – PAINT PREP
- Clean A Car For Painting – Do not start repair without doing this step. – Video Tutorial
- Feather Edging – Video Tutorial
- Final Sanding Dry – New Part – New OEM Part – Video Tutorial
- How To Hand Wet Sand – Video Tutorial
- Rust Removers For Cars – Article
- 3 Ways To Strip Paint Down To Metal – Video Tutorial
- How To Prep Before Priming – Video Tutorial
- How To Mix Epoxy Primer – Video Tutorial
- How To Prevent Corrosion From Attacking Your Repairs – Video Tutorial
- Masking For Priming – Video Tutorial
- How To Spray Primer Surfacer – Video Tutorial
- How To Block Sand Primer Surfacer – Video Tutorial
- Quick Masking Tip When Using Plastic – Video Tutorial
- Transition Tape – Video Tutorial
- Foam Tape – Video Tutorial
- Paint/Refinish Tips Video .
- DIY How To Mask Door Jambs
- How To Block Sand Using Motor Guard Blocks
- Tips You Need To Know Before Painting a Car
REFINISH – PAINT, CLEAR, SPRAY TECHNIQUES
- Proper Spray Gun Maintenance – Video Tutorial
- How To Clean A Spray Gun – 5 Tips To Hand Clean A Paint Gun With Only 20z. of Thinner. – Video Tutorial
- How To Adjust Paint Gun and Spraying Techniques – Video Tutorial
- 3M Accuspray 1.8 Primer Surfacer Gun – Video Tutorial
- How To Spray Paint – Iwata Spray Gun Benefits
- How To Blend Paint Into Existing Paint Finish – Video Tutorial
- How To Custom Paint a Two-Tone Part 1 – Video Tutorial
- How TO Custom Paint Multiple Colors/Paint Flash and Window Times Part 2 – Explanation of the process
- Basic Steps To Paint A Car – Video Tutorial with DuPont Products .
- Two Part Refinish Secrets Revealed – Article
- Tips For Painting Panles Off The Car
- Color Theory
- 3M How To Prep A Panel For Paint
- How To FInd A Perfect Color Match
- Where Do I Find The Color Code For My Car? Find Out…It’s Easy With New Tool
- New PPG Fast Dry Clear Coat: DC 2000 Ultra Velocity Clear
- Template For Annual Spray Coatings
- Automotive Paint Blending Explained
- Restoration Rust Repair – 72 Chevy Part 1
- Restoration Rust Repair – 72 Chevy Part 2
- Auto Rust Repair: How To Repair A Rust Hole – 3 Part Video Series for Cutting out rust, fabricating patch and welding it in.
- 3M Texture and Corrosion Protection Coatings
- How To Deal With A Rust Problem – Article
- PPE For The Collision Repair Industry
- Environmental Best Practices For Auto Shops
- How To Read A Technical Data Sheet
- Vehicle Design – An Overview Of Vehicle Design Video
- The Difference Between A Unibody and Space Frame
- Vehicle Construction – Magnesium
- Vehicle Construction – Laser Welding
- Vehicle Construction – The Different Types of Steels
- Are You Safer In An Older or Newer Car?
- Advanced Joining Techniques and Procedures
- Intorduction To Resistance Spot Welding
- So What Is The Big Deal About Waterborne Paint – Article
- The Pros and Cons of Waterborne Paint – Article
- How To Perform A Lap Weld – Video Tutorial
- How To Perform A Butt Weld – Video Tutorial
- How To Perform A Plug Weld – Video Tutorial
- Introduction To Resistance Welding
- Welding Part 10 – MIG Brazing – Video .
- Welding Part 1 – Oxy/Acetylene Welding – Text & Audio Podcast .
- Auto Body Welding: MIG Brazing Structural Parts On Today’s Vehicle
- New Products Overview – Monthly Updates
- 3m New Product Boot Camp Overview
- New Product Update From Motor Guard – MOT-JO1050
- Iwata (IWA5850) LS400H Supernova Hybrid Spray Gun with 1.3mm Nozzle and Gold Cap (Gun only)
- 3M Accuspray 1.8 Primer Surfacer Gun
- Spray Booth Curtain Walls
- Stand For Painting Parts
- Glass breaker & Seat Belt Cutting Tool
- Safety Cabinets For The Shop
BUSINESS – MANAGEMENT
- 5 Training Tips That Work
- Creating A Child Friendly Waiting Area
- Dave Dunn Discusses Operation A Profitable Body Shop
- Employees That Come In Late
- Good Hiring Decisions
- Guidelines For Employees Raises
- How To Start An Auto Repair Business
- No Rehire Policies
- Perfect Shop Plan
- Pricing, Ethics and Reputation
- The 4 T’s in Effective Employee Management
- The Importance Of Job Description
- Six Sigma Information
- 7 Tips To Make A Good First Impression
- What Collision Repair Can Learn From (Somebody That I Used to Know – Walk off the Earth)
- Tips For Being Successful In The Collision Repair Industry
- Get Inspired To Do Your Best
- Building A Strong Social Media Presence While Increasing Search Engine Ratings
- Women and Social Media Marketing Trends Up In 2011
- Marketing and Innovation – the Ducker theory
- Phraseology – using social media as SEO to boost search engine ranking
- Primed on Public Speaking
- Quick – what’s your elevator pitch?
- What Non-Verbal Messages Are You Sending Women?
- What Is A Name?
- Collision Repair Website For The Shop Owner
PRODUCTS AND SERVICES FOR COLLISION REPAIR INDUSTRY
- Auto Watch exceed your customers expectations
- Roll Around Car Dollies
- The Rail Saver
- UpDate Promise
- Advanced Joining Techniques and Procedures
- Kustom Auto Paint Supplies
- NATEF Auto Body Student Recommended Tools
- Auto Body and Paint Supplies
- DIY Tool For Cutting Metal